Rachel Maddow issued a challenge for viewers to come up with an appropriate plural designation when speaking of Trump’s Goldman Sachs (GS) hires. You know, like a group of Sachs or a bag of Goldman Sachs or a school of Sachs and so on. You will recall that Trump has named, hired, or appointed something like 6 from the Wall Street firm. Interestingly, and some would say hypocritically so, he brutally criticized Hillary Clinton for being “totally controlled by Goldman Sachs.” Well, it looks like he was secretly winking at her when saying this because it appears that it is he, not she who will be controlled by Goldman Sachs. So how do we refer to a group of GS Trump advisers? Here is my list of top ten possibilities with brief explanations:
- A coalition of GS, as in a coalition of cheetah, or perhaps even more appropriate, a coalition of GS Cheetos.
- A tribe of GS, as in a tribe of goats. Maybe they will say things Trump doesn’t like and in doing so get his goat.
- A bloat of GS, as in a bloat of hippos. Hippos, as one knows, are potentially dangerous to people and so too might a bloat of GS be if financial regulations are relaxed.
- A romp of GS, as in a romp of otters who are slick to the touch and like to playfully romp around in rough waters. Let’s just hope the romp of GS advisers doesn’t romp around with our investments.
- A wake of GS, as in a wake of buzzards. Now, this sounds bleak and terrifying, to be honest.
- A wreck of GS, as in a wreck of seabirds is not much better. An unregulated Wall Street could wreck the economy again and your retirement account along with it.
- A murmuration of GS, as in a murmuration of starlings. Can’t you see them all flying in formation? What a spectacle it would be.
- A descent of GS, like a descent of woodpeckers pecking away at your life savings until there is nothing left.
- A plague of GS, like a plague of insects I think speaks for itself.
- A scourge of GS like a scourge of blood sucking mosquitoes – not a pretty image.
In all fairness, I am not against Goldman Sachs or any other investment firm or big bank as long as they play by the rules and behave responsibly. It just seems so hypocritical for Trump to have derided Clinton for her connections to Wall Street when it is clear that his administration is going to BE Wall Street. Well, he did say he was going to buld a wall, I just didn’t expect it to be made of Goldman Sachs.