From the Sports Desk of Ribbie’s Weblog, bringing you up-to-the day coverage of stuff not so typically covered.
- Of the 16 games to be played in the third round, the combined seeding numbers for 12 of them equal 9.
- One game in the South Region has a total seed number of 25: UCLA (11) v UAB (14)
- Breakdown of the 32 by seeds: All the 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 seeds remain. 3 7th seeded teams are still alive. 2 of the 2 seeds made it. Just 1 10 seed survived: Ohio State. There are 2 each 11 and 14 seeds that made it to third round: UCLA, Dayton, UAB and Georgia State. All the 9, 12, 13, 15 and 16 seeds were knocked out.
- By Conference with two or more teams: ACC (6), Big Ten (5), Pac 12 (4), Big 12 (3), Missouri Valley (2), SEC (2)
- Three of the ACC teams still alive are in the East Region: Louisville, NC State and Virginia
- By state: Ohio (4), NC (3), 2: KY, CA, IN, KS, IA. Texas started with 5 but all were eliminated in the 2nd round.
- By mascot with two or more: Northern Iowa Panthers, Georgia State Panthers; Butler Bulldogs, Gonzaga Bulldogs; Kentucky Wildcats, Arizona Wildcats, Villanova Wildcats
- In the “West” Region, Georgia State (14) from Atlanta practically plays a home game in Jacksonville against Xavier (6) from Cincinnati. 5 hour drive from Atlanta; 12 hour drive from Cincinnati.
- Dayton, the 11 seed in the “East” Region, will practically play a home game in Columbus vs. the 3 seed Oklahoma. Dayton is about an hour from Columbus. Norman to Columbus is a good 13 hour plus drive.
- Easiest region remaining as calculated by combined seeds: South (52)
- Toughest region remaining as calculated by combined seeds: Midwest (36)
- All the tops seeded teams are playing the 8th seed. And all the winners will play either a 4 or 5 seed in the Sweet 16.
- Two teams from Indiana face off in the Midwest Regional third round: Notre Dame (South Bend) and Butler (Indianapolis) If Butler makes it to the Final Four, they would have a clear home court advantage.
- Two second round games played in the South Regional in Louisville had the same final score: UCLA 60 SMU 59; UAB 60 Iowa St. 59.
- In the 32 2nd round games, half of the losing teams had fewer turnovers than the winning team. Coastal Carolina had the fewest turnovers in a losing effort: 6. Wofford, Harvard and Albany all lost with just 7 turnovers.
- Baylor had the distinction of committing the most turnovers in a second round game: 21
Let the madness play on. #Marchmadness