Are you mad for March? Are you ready for March Madness? I am and so are 68 NCAA basketball teams. Let’s have a look at who is in and see what we can see. One quick note: there are quite a few no and new shows.
- First timers: North Florida, UC Irvine, Buffalo. No offense North Florida, but I didn’t even know you had a school, much less a team, but, nonetheless, welcome….and good luck! Hey, Buffalo. We don’t hear much about your college hoops team. I don’t suppose you folks are the Buffalo Buffalos? No? Oh, the Buffalo Bulls, not to be confused with the bad news Buffalo Bills. Interestingly, the team is coached by Bobby Hurley, of Duke fame, and has a roster of only one kid from the State of New York (Buffalo) who went to prep school in Virginia.
- Thirty-three states and DC sent teams to the tournament.
- Texas and Indiana have the most teams in the big dance with (5) – TX: TX Southern, UT, Baylor, SMU and SF Austin; IN: Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame, Valparaiso, Indiana.
- The Big State of California where basketball does not reign supreme this year has only 3 teams representing: UCLA, UC Irvine and San Diego State.
- Florida produced one team: North Florida, the home of the Ospreys – not sure if the mascot is a bird or a helicopter.
- Tennessee produced one team: the Belmont Bruins from Nashville.
- There could be an all Texas and or former SWC conference final: SMU vs. Texas or Ark vs. SMU – but it won’t happen.
- Wofford has a fitting mascot: the Terriers!
Let the madness begin!