You may be wondering which team has had the easiest path to the Final Four. Or you may not be wondering which team has had the easiest path to the Final Four. Either way, Florida has had the easiest path by far coming out of the South region. Kentucky, out of the Midwest had the roughest trip to the big dance, followed by CT out of the East and Wisconsin from the West region.
From Smooth Sailing to Turbulent Skies
- FL combined total of seeds to victory out of the South: 40 – Albany (16), Pitt (9), UCLA (4), Dayton (11)
- WI combined total of seeds to victory out of the West: 29 – American (15), Oregon (7), Baylor (6), Arizona (1)
- CT combined total of seeds to victory out of the East: 19 – Saint Joseph’s (10), Villanova (2), Iowa St. (3), Michigan St. (4)
- KY combined total of seeds to victory out of the Midwest: 16 – Kansas St. (9), Wichita St. (1), Louisville (4), Michigan (2)
Who gave Whom Fits
- Some teams simply had the others’ number during the 2013-14 season. SMU beat UConn twice. Louisville beat UConn three times.
- Arkansas gave Kentucky fits, beating them twice in OT. The Gators devoured the Wildcats three times during the season. The last game was a one point squeaker in the SEC championship game. They could meet again in the NCAA championship game.
- Home town/state advantage: Kentucky. Lexington is closest to Arlington and the Wildcats have three players from Texas.
- Home court advantage: Connecticut. Even though Storrs is the farthest from Arlington, the Huskies are the only team that has played a game this year near Arlington in a loss to SMU in Dallas.
- Battle tested team: Kentucky who beat a 1 and a 2 seed and the 4th seeded Louisville Cardinals that beat UConn three times.
- Underdog: Kentucky – unranked in the AP Top 25.
- Toughest Team Nickname: Wisconsin Badgers.
- Latest championships: KY (2012), UConn (2011), FL (2007), WI (1941)