I love the Olympics and have faithfully watched the broadcasts every 2 years for as long as I can remember. This go round, I watched as much as I could, but unfortunately was not able to catch all of the events. I didn’t see a wrestling match, or do they call it grappling? I am sick to death that I did not see the ping pong and badminton matches – strange name for a sport, isn’t it, badminton – but I hear there was some cheating going on. No, not doping allegations, just strategic losing to gain an advantage – this is like anti-doping. I didn’t see the dodge ball and handball competitions. Wait, isn’t a handball a penalty in soccer? Excuse me, I meant to say football, ok, futbol. I didn’t see any boxing and weightlifting, which, to my knowledge, didn’t make the prime time broadcasts, but they may have had their own channels. And whatever happened to Olympic Cliff diving? GB has some great cliffs. But I digress. Here are the moments in my view for which the 2012 London Olympics will be remembered:
- Usain Bolt: Still the fastest human alive and 3 Golds richer.
- Aliyson Felix: Finally got her Gold in the 200 and 2 more in relays, including a world record in the 4 x100.
- Gabby Douglas: World’s best female gymnast.
- Manteo Mitchell: Broke his leg on a leg of the 4×400 relay, but managed to finish helping the US qualify for the finals.
- Oscar Pistorius: Ran competitively on carbon fiber blades
- Mo Farah the British runner of Samali origin did the impossible winning the 5 and 10,000 meter runs.
- 10 meter platform finals: What a finish – USA, China, Great Britain. David Boudia won the Gold, ending a 24 year medal drought in individual events by American male divers. The favorite, Qui Bo, finished a very close second and crowd favorite Brit Thomas Daley finished strong and took bronze and a celebratory pool plunge with team GB.
- Michael Phelps: Still the world’s fastest swimmer and arguably the greatest Olympian of all-time.
- The golden women of team USA: swimming and track relays, basketball, water (marco) polo, gymnastics, beach volleyball, rowing and soccer. Domination.
- Events that should be in the X Games, not the Olympics: BMX bike racing and beach volleyball. You know it’s X gamey when an athlete gives an interview wearing a Red Bull cap.
- Picnic and arcade games that are not sports: If badminton and ping pong are allowable, why not frisbee golf, fooseball, pinball, dodgeball, kick-the-can, twister and croquet in Rio. In fact, I demand it!
- An explosion of athletes wearing kinesio tape: The stuff looks like leaches from the Thames or British sea slugs from the Isles of Man or Wight, one.
- Edible Medals: All the athletes were eating their medals which I believe were actually foil wrapped chocolates.
- The Brits: The host country won 65 medals, 4th best and with 29 Golds, 3rd behind China and the U.S. Down under in 2008, team GB won 47 medals, 19 Golds.
Congratulations London and team GB on a job well done! Cheers!
Filed under: humor, London Summer Olympics, Olympics, Sports | Tagged: 2012 Olympics best moments, Aliyson Felix, David Boudia, edible medals, Gabby Douglas, Handball, humor, humour, kinesio tape, Phelps, team GB, Thomas Daley, Usain Bolt |